Turkey and Leek Vegetable Chowder - A Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipe



So, I belong to this co-op of sorts that sources organic and locally grown
fruits and veggies... and they deliver your order TO YOUR DOORSTEP!!


Yes. You read correctly: DELIVER.
TO YOUR DOORSTEP!


If you live in Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, Columbus or Dayton,
I highly suggest you check out Green B.E.A.N. Organic Produce and Natural Groceries at:
www.greenbeandelivery.com

ANYHOO...  The point of this being, sometimes I forget to adjust my order,
so they send me what is in season and such.  This means
I often end up with some kind of vegetable I would NEVER buy EVER.

Thus, the leek in this recipe. 
Not that I have anything against leeks. 
I just never cooked with them.

I had to watch videos on how to prepare them.
(Thank God for the World Wide Web)

My sister hosted our Thanksgiving dinner, but I ended up with one of the legs of the turkey as well as a few pieces of white meat. 

That's a lot of meat for a single gal.

Full disclosure: I don't know that I've ever knowingly eaten much dark meat.
(Growing up I was raised to dislike it.
But I never tried it.
So how could I know I didn't like it?
Turns out it's not bad at all!)


Today was a big flop around the house day.
(It's 6:30, and I'm still wearing what I slept in last night...)

In other words, I was not leaving the house for anything. 

When it came time for dinner, 
I decided to get a little creative.
Here's what I came up with:


(Recipe Grace request: I didn't measure a lot of stuff cuz I was using what I had.
Please forgive the "couple of shakes of" ingredients.
It really does give you, the chef, more control over the recipe.)




Turkey and Leek Vegetable Chowder: A Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipe

                                     Ingredients:

                                       - Leftover Turkey (I used meat from one leg and about 6 oz of turkey 
                                         breast)
                                       - One leek (leaves removed, rinsed and sliced)
                                       - 2-3 large carrots diced
                                       - 1/4 of a medium sized onion diced
                                       - 2 TB olive oil
                                       - 5 new potatoes diced into small pieces
                                       -  1 cup of frozen peas
                                       - 32 oz of low sodium chicken broth
                                       - 2 cups of water
                                       - Garlic Powder
                                       - Thyme
                                       - Onion Powder
                                       - 1 cup fat free half and half

                                       - Salt and Pepper to taste


                                 Directions:


                                    1. Sautee leeks, onions and carrots in olive oil in a large sauce pan 
                                        on medium heat. Stir occasionally.
                                    2. When the vegetables start getting soft, add turkey, potatoes, 
                                        chicken broth and water.
                                    3. Add about 1/2 tsp of thyme.
                                    4. Add about 6-8 shakes of onion powder.
                                    5. Add about 6-10 shakes of garlic powder.
                                    6. Turn heat on high and bring the mixture to a boil for about 10 
                                        minutes.
                                    7. Lower to medium heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
                                    8. Add peas and fat free half and half until the soup starts to 
                                        simmer again.
                                    9. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.


                             Additional Notes:
                                     - I don't know if this is thick enough to qualify as a "chowder." 
                                    - Add a couple of tablespoons of corn starch or puree some of 
                                      the potatoes, leeks and carrots before adding the half and half.
                                      
I served mine with a baked cheese sandwich (on homemade white bread) 
and some NFL football.


It turned out quite well! 
(I have a feeling it's going to taste even better tomorrow after the 
ingredients have time to, like, blend or whatever 
the correct term is. hehe)

If you try this, let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toilet Paper Roll Reindeer Craft for Little Kids (and Big Kids Too!)

Witch Cupcakes with Creme de Menthe Butter Cream Frosting

Sweet Potato Hash - First Recipe